Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

I own Mercedes Benz SLK350. I haven't been using the car 3

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I own Mercedes Benz SLK350. I haven't been using the car for over 3 weeks therefore the battery is dead and I cannot open the car. I have tried to turn the manual key anticlockwise but it does not move much and nothing happens. What can I do?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: The car is on park. I am not sure what a wheel lock feature is?
JA: What year is your Mercedes Benz SLK350?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I would like to fix the problem myself. I have tried to use the manual key on the driver`s side to open but it does not work.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

Hello Darius, may i have your vin please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Vin no. WDB1714562F049940
Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

thank you sir, sorry for the delay,we had storms and the computer systems are going slower then normal.

Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

ok so when turning the key to the left the door lock knob should unlock, does this not happen? does the key seem to even turn?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The key turns when I force it but still the door does not unlock. I tried this several times but nothing happens.
Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

ok, its possible the internal part of the cylinder had stripped. there is none on the passenger side correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is none on the passenger side.
Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

ok, when you rotate the key clockwise can you feel any resistance?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The key does not move clockwise.
Expert:  Lou P replied 10 months ago.

just wanted to be sure, the cylinders are meant to only unlock But they should be able to lock as well as a safety in case of issues like this, you will have to have a locksmith come out to get the door open, we have tools in the usa to get in the window and pull the inner door handle to open the door. have you seen these?