Ron, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  ASE tech with 34 years of fixing cars
7276279

I Have a BMW316 ti. I've just changed the radiator and

Customer Question

I Have a BMW316 ti. I've just changed the radiator and thermostat due to coolant problems. This is now fine, however I have noticed that when driving at speed and then slowing down. eg, coming off a motorway the engine revs drop to under 500 and it stalls. There is no problem driving around town, only on stretches where I can put my foot down.
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: It has been overheating but since I changed the rad and thermostat it's fine. There's no problem with power and fluid levels are fine.
JA: What is the model/year of your BMW?
Customer: It's a BME 316 ti 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No this is beyond my knowledge and other than giving it a good run to blow away the cobwebs that's it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing with the stalling condition you are having may be caused by sludge build in the throttle body and I would start with disconnecting the negative battery cable and then take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body a good cleaning. After you have done this reconnect the battery and start the engine and allow it to idle for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the computer to relearn the closed throttle values. Give this a try and let me know the results and we can work from there if need be.