Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.

Recently purchased a 1999 230 slk all's pretty okay but keys

Customer Question

Hi recently purchased a 1999 230 slk all's pretty okay but keys will not fully go into any of the locks! remote works & key goes into ignition okay, what wrong? Paul
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: which fuses do you think & no wiring GA
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 1999 230slk
JA: What year is your Mercedes?
Customer: t reg i.e 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes basic stuff like WD into locks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Lou P replied 3 months ago.

Hello, its quite possible the ignition was changed and the key is not the original key for the car. the best bet is to buy a valet key at the dealer per the vin and that should match the doors and trunk. does the key go into the glove box?

if not then that is a great indication as well that the ignition is not original. hope this helps. Lou P.Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No the key will only go half way into the lock barrel!
Expert:  Lou P replied 3 months ago.

ok so then that tells me the ignition was changed at one point, you will need to order another key from the dealer to unlock the doors, if you give me your vin i can get you the part number.