Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2016 XC70. It has remote tailgate open, but not

Customer Question

I have a 2016 XC70. It has remote tailgate open, but not close. My previous Ford C-Max had both open & close via the remote. Can my Volvo be made to close via the remote?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: No issue with fuses, nothing wrong yet, I wanted to know if it can be rewired in any way to do the remote close!
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just found out what wire do what when the tailgate open is pressed.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Unfortunately if it only has remote open the motor that opens it isnt able to pull it closed and the control module isnt set up as well to close it.Unfortunately this is the way this model is designed here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pete it is also a power close tailgate, but you have to push a button on the tailgate to get it to close. The Ford I had was both open and close via the remote, the Volvo is open via the remote and manual push button on the tailgate to get it to close, so it does have the power to close, but not via the remote and have got so used to the Ford, I wanted to know if the Volvo could me made to do the same?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

I dont see any option to have this done on your model here.The best thing to do is to speak to a dealer and see if they can tell you for sure if this can be done and how but I dont see this as an option myself.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No easy way to do it! I knew this before I contacted you! I have however come up with a plan to get it to close by remote control, unfortunately it will be by a secondary remote unit not the one supplied with the car. For £6 on ebay you can buy a 12v remote gate relay, it won't take much to wire this up in parallel to the original push to close button and when done, I will be able to close the tailgate by remote. You may want to remember this in case you ever get asked this question again!
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Thanks,that is great to hear you have located a way to close this here.I will keep this in mind for future reference.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete