Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist

I have an 06 Scenic with a parking brake that won't release.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have an 06 Scenic with a parking brake that won't release. I understand that there is a manual override in the boot which I think I have found. Is it a yellow handled pull cord? Also what is involved in repairing the brake? thanks, Eric.
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: Not sure about replaced brakes, I've just got the car. I haven't checked the fluid. I assume the filler is under the bonnet.
JA: What is the model/year of your Renault?
Customer: Renault scenic 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hope to fix myself. Just started so nothind done yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, although the parking brake did not operate at all a few times at first but I assumed it was because the car was sitting about for some time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi im kevin so handbrake wont release at all ? Is there any messages on dash ? Parking brake fault ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Kevin, yes parking brake fault
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Ok yes the yellow handle will manually release parking brake .the next step would be to have car plugged into diagnostic machine to find cause .all parts are common to fail on these .the calipers seize ,the switch seizes internally ,the motors fail due to water ingress,the cables seize due to water ingress .getting car plugged in is the quickest and cheapest way to find cause because of the number of common issues with this system

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

No problem please remember to rate my setvice