Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

The engine failed in my 2001 XKR cabriolet. The chassis

Customer Question

The engine failed in my 2001 XKR cabriolet. The chassis number is ***** and the engine number is(###) ###-#### ***** am now being offerend an engine with number 00112141 (don't know what happened to the last digit) taken from a 2001 XKR coupe. Would that work as I heard there were some changes to the engine design in 2001?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
Can you double check your VIN? It should be A followed by five numbers.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
You are right. Typo: A22444. Aplogies
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The engine on offer is here: http://www.seik.de/shop/detail/Motor+ohne+Anbauteile+%28Benzin%29/JAGUAR/XK+8+Coupe+%28QEV%29/C1/4630748
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
The engine serial number break is(###) ###-####as a higher number has a different part number.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will it fit my car or not?
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Since the number is ***** I cannot be 100% sure but yes it should fit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry Richard but I will need something a little more comprehensive from you to understand:A - Please explain this sentence to me: "The engine serial number break is(###) ###-####as a higher number has a different part number"B - The number of the replacement engine is 00 11 21 41 This tells me it was manufactured in 2000 (00) in Novermber (11) on the 21st (21) [the rest is not clear. My (broken) engine is numbered(###) ###-####which tells me it was built on 12 May 2001 at 1:21 am. Would you agree with my reasoning?C - Are you aware of any significant design changes between those two manufacturing times that would be an obstable in fitting the replacement engine?Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.
I just ran both serial numbers and there were no significant changes that should be an issue. Both use the steel cylinder lines so that should not be a problem. There may be a difference in the mounting bosses for the power steering and a/c compressor but that is about it.