Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Loss of power on a Volvo /Penta KAD44 Marine diesel

Customer Question

Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The engine has recently had a load of work including removing the engine, replacing the turbo, new seals etc. The boat is slow to plane and will only keep 3000RPM whilst on the plane. The mechanic at the company that did the work reported some pitting in the cylinders due to salt ingress, and a drop in compression - when it was stored in the winter last year it was performing fine. The question - is this power loss likely to be due to the compression, or due to a fault introduced by the work? What would a third party expert advise to check?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this issue only really occurred after the work was done most likely this is a result of the work done.The work that was done needs re checked by the facility that did the work or a dealer to locate and repair the issue.It may be something that was left off or loose or disconnected that caused this fault here and may be corrected at no cost to you at the facility that did the work.This would be what I would have checked into here on this.If this is something that was going on before the repairs were done as well then I suspect something else like a possible restriction in the exhaust.

Cylinder wall damage can cause a misfire which usually causes rough running which can be felt.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete