Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

S 2009, when driving 5miles the auto gear box transmission

Customer Question

cooper S 2009, when driving for about 5miles the auto gear box transmission warning comes on and stays in the same gear that is selected.
if you wait about 5 minutes the warning go`s off then same problem again.
I had the oil in the gear box changed no different.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

I'd suggest the next step is to have the car plugged into a BMW diagnostic tool

sadly a generic OBD scan tool won't do much good as it won't be able to decode the chassis faults - only engine ones

once you have a fault code then this will point to the issue

if its the CVT transmission ( which it should be) then these are prone to belt wear issues and it may need a rebuild

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks for that, it is a 6 speed with paddle shift, is the gearbox a sealed unit.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

its not sealed as such but as its a CVT type its not easily repaired by any transmission shop

now it may not need rebuilding as they can suffer from sticking actuators and failed sensors like any auto transmission so I'd still go for a diagnostic as the next step

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you