Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a Mazda 6 2009 and the red key warning light has

Customer Question

I have a Mazda 6 2009 and the red key warning light has appeared and car wont start. Assume battery in key is dead so extracted the manual key and inserted into steering column but it wont turn or start. Can you help please as I have an urgent appointment to make
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Neutral manual transmission
JA: What is the model of your '09 Mazda?
Customer: 2.2SL Reg LT59OZO
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried locking the car and starting from scratch with both keyless ignition and also with the manual key
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Car was working perfectly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what is described here I suspect the key itself is at fault (the electronic key).I have seen this fail before in the past needing replaced for this type of fault here.This will have to be tested further to be sure this is the cause here and replaced.Usually it needs either ordered in from a dealer pre programmed or programmed by a dealer after it is replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete