Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I have a mazda 6 2005, the car will crank over but will not

Customer Question

hi, i have a mazda 6 2005, the car will crank over but will not start. for the MOT i had to change the front l/h lower (front) ball joint and the L/h rear drop ball joint. the rear i ahd to heat up and then cut off, but since replacing these the car will not start. the fule pump sounds like it kicking when the ignition turns on and can see no wires anywhere near where i was working to have damagaed anything, fule pump fuse miust be ok as took it out and it would not crank
. not sure where else to look.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yeah it turns over rapidly enough. i guess a couple of years old.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Mazda?
Customer: mazda 6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if i can i will. wss looking to see if it had a fuel cut of or something. but guess will check if it has a park and to see if fule comes out of the fuel rail. but not doen that yet. just strange it was all workinh ok before i did the ball joints.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: had to take the bottom engine tray off to get to the bolt holding the bottom ball jont arm to the chassis. and i had to cut off the rear drop linkage and used a blow toch to heat the nut. fuel tank was close but no wires etc that i could see.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

If your engine cranks but will not start, you need to check spark, fuel, and compression. You need to figure out which of these that you do not have and go from there. Once you find which is the problem you can narrow down your diagnostic steps to resolve your problem.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please rate the answer, it would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan