Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Steering system failure accelarator reduced and dash lights

Customer Question

Steering system failure accelarator reduced and dash lights up like a Christmas tree ! Then it all goes out and cmax returns to normal. Drives for a few mins then repeats red light on ***** *****ght in all lights on. Any idea as to what it can be ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 6 months ago.

Hi there good afternoon to you and sorry for the delayed response

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to offer you technical assistance with your issue

Ok your fault is caused by a loss of communication between the pcm and cluster

The fault can be the cluster , the pcm or the 2 CAN. Bus wires between them

from your description of the issue I would strongly suspect a faulty instrument cluster (I don't believe in sending these for repair as I have in the past only for it to be the route cause of the fault

This seems to be more common on the 1.6 petrol Varients for some reason

The instrument cluster is the gateway between the high and mid speed can bus communications systems (data network )

This can systems controls the various electronic control components of the vehicle

I have personally diagnosed many of these cluster issues with the exact same symptoms as yours

Customers think how can the cluster cause this issue because it's just a cluster but in reality the cluster is a complex module that exchanges high speed data with several other modules connected on the can bus system and is also the main Immobilsor compinent

The fault with these clusters seems to be an internal breakdown of the can bus system (connection issues on the circuit board )

In my experience of this fault I would definitely susupected an internal cluster fault

I always carry out a network test with the fault present to see if the cluster speaks to the diagnostic tester

We find the cluster doesn't communicate but the pcm does (this rules out all wiring between the dlc plug and pcm thus leaving the cluster as the only component left

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know

If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER

Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I get a cluster from a car breakers ?

Hi there good evening to you

Ok yes you can get a second hand cluster fitted but it must be coded to the vehicles immobiliser system as this is the main component for the immobiliser system you will also need to have two avaiable keys to complete the programming process

If you were satisfied with my answer /advice

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER

Kindest regards ***** ***** and have a nice evening

Any positive feedback is kindly appreciated

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I only have 1 key :( so will it be able to be done with just the one ? Also where do I get it programmemed can a local garage do it

Hi there

No you need a minimum of 2 keys as the Immobilsor /key codes are stored in the instrument cluster

This can be fitted and coded by anyone with access to good quality diagnostic equipment

Such as fords ids diagnostic equipment (this is the most compatible ) when carrying out programming of such systems

Kindest regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where can I get a bother key if at all ?

If you take your original key to a ford parts department they will sell you a key and cut it using your original key as a template

Kind regards ***** *****

Brian

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does it need to be a chip key or normal

You can get two types for cmax

A remote fib type key or a plain key

Regards Brian

Hi there good evening to you

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know and I will do my upmost to assist you

PLEASE REMEMBER TO RATE MY ANSWER as this builds my online profile

Brian

Hi there good evening to you
How did you get on with our issue
Kind regards ***** *****
Brian