Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 1986 alfa spider starts up no problem. when I put it in

Customer Question

my 1986 alfa spider starts up no problem. when I put it in gear it just boggs down I can move but cant get any real rpms. I've changed both fuel pumps and filters also changed the throttle position sensor with the same results.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

Check the resistance of the spark plug leads ( 13-15Kohm / metre) and replace if any doubt or high resistance - Also replace the spark plugs if any of them fail this checklist:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

You can also try spraying some water on the coil pack with the engine running. It is possible the coil is faulty and causing the misfire. If you see sparks arcing with the water, then replace the coil.

I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light

http://www.noidlight.com/

Then check all the connections to the engine sensors one at a time, remove each one and examine for signs of corrosion or damage and a squirt of contact cleaner ( not WD40) will also help.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you