sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I'm having a Toyota Previa 1990 automatic, that usually runs

Customer Question

I'm having a Toyota Previa 1990 automatic, that usually runs rather good. Sometimes, at a red light after app 10 km driving, the engine gets problems and stops. Then it is very hard to get up running again, but at the next red light, everything works fine again. Do you have a clue?
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: The battery is 1-2 years old, but there is plenty of power on the battery to turn the engine. Why bulbs?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I would like to fix it myself. Haven't done anything so far. The problem is only sometimes but more and more frequent.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing your symptoms. You may be losing spark due to a sensor issue, bad oil or wiring issue, you may be losing fuel pressure due to a failing fuel pump or loss of power or ground to it.

When in a non starting state have you been able to check for spark?

Do you hear the fuel pump run when cycling the key during the hard start/no start period?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't checked for spark. The oil is relatively new, but a bad sensor or some connector issue could be the problem. There are no blink codes in the computer.From cold it starts perfectly, but when it is warm after app 10km of driving, the issue comes. The engine goes out at a red light. I can start it again with some problems, have it running at 2000-3000 rpm, leave the speeder and it goes down to 750 rpm (sometimes it goes out - sometimes not), but when I put it in Drive, it goes out.I'll try to listen to the fuel pump during the hard start period...Regards,
Jan Mathorne
Denmark
Let me know what you find!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Today it ran without any problems... I'll keep testing...

Ok.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After a couple of days without problems, I had an issue again yesterday. Forgot to listen to the fuel pump, but it seems more like the opposite problem, that the engine is drowned. When I finally, after a couple of tries, got it up running againg, it worked fine. Do you think it could be a sensor, that sometimes gets stuck/disconnected?Regards,
Jan Mathorne
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

It's possible that it could be a sensor issue but it's going to take some testing at the time the problem is happening to know what is going on.

Was there a fuel smell or fuel smoke when it restarted?