Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I am looking to buy a mercedes a140 avantgarde and the

Customer Question

i am looking to buy a mercedes a140 avantgarde and the odometer leds seem to have an issue. All the mileage on MOT paperwork checks out and engine seems good so I am not unduly worried about whether the mileage has been fixed, more about the costs I would have to fix the problem if i buy the car
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 65000, manual
JA: What is the model of your '63000 Mercedes?
Customer: a140
JA: Huh?
Customer: the model is an a140 avantgarde
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not tried yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your vehicles computers can store the actual mileage and if there is an issue with the mileage on the cluster compared to the stored mileage then this can cause fault codes to set on some models.

If the issue is you cannot see the mileage on the cluster or if it is incorrect then you would need to have the instrument cluster replaced and programmed by a Mercedes dealer.The cost for this in allot of cases can run around $1000 up to $1500 in some cases.

I would have the fault codes checked in all computers using either a compatible scan tool to do this or a dealers sds machine to see what codes are set.Then once this has been done any codes from there are diagnosed and repaired to correct any issues this model has here.

You may just need the instrument cluster replaced and reprogrammed but it is a good idea to have all computers checked for codes and diagnosed for any other issues possible.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete