sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My Toyota 2007 Camry XLE 3.5l Engine by using tester prints

Customer Question

My Toyota 2007 Camry XLE 3.5l Engine by using tester prints following error codes: U011 and C1201. Engine, Traction Control lights are on and Chech VSC message is displayed. What is you advise for next step?
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Kind regards,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not fixing my self. Qualified service will do, but asked me to contact.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Possible source of failure and waht to replace?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions. You didn't list an engine control code here, yet the check engine light is on? The first code we need to be concerned with is the powertrain code. Should be a code starting with a 'P'.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are two active codes. U0100 Lost communication with ECM/PCM and C1201 Engine Control System Malfunction. Tester didn't report any other code. My mechanics needs to know if any flow chart or procedure exists.
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

The C1201 code ONLY means there is a power train (engine/transmission) code that was set. The flowchart is simply go to relevant power train DTC flowchart. We need to know that powertrain code. Does the vehicle start and run normally? Does the check engine light come on with key in on position, engine off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Engine runs normally. Engine light comes on and doesn't lit off when switching ACC on. I do not have a power train code.
Engine, TRC lights and Chech System are not always on. They come and go, nowadays more often. Local Toyota dealer is not interested in doing more investigation than reseting failure codes, because the car is more than 10-years old. Transmission oil has been changed etc. Therefore will take Camry to other workshop and the maechanic needs more support. Will full reset by disconnecting minus lead from battery help?
Expert:  Boxer54 replied 4 months ago.

I am going to opt out of this question, opening it up to other experts. To have the C1201 code, there has to be a powertrain code. The sole purpose of that code is to tell you this. Hopefully, you will get it resolved. I am confused, though, as to why the Toyota dealer won't work on it due to its age. That is not the general protocol for Toyota. I work on cars 30 years old. Not sure what the process is where you are, but you may want to get in touch with Toyota directly because I'm not too sure they would be happy with the direction that dealer is taking.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

C1201 does indicate that there is a fault code set in the engine controller. This sets in the ABS module when there is an engine related concern that will prevent proper stability control operation. This along with your mention of the engine light coming on proves without a doubt that there is a code setting in the ECM.

Where was the U code found? Was it U0100?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As mentioned earlier two active codes were printed by the tester. U0100 code was the other.
The tester printed out the message: Lost communication between ECM/PCM.
Seems that second opinion is identical analyzed by the mechanic. ECM needs to be replaced.

I did note the codes but I'm trying to determine where they were set.