virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

I've got patrol 05 kia carens thats has misfire cylinders

Customer Question

Hi. I've got patrol 05 kia carens thats has misfire cylinders 1&2. Changed plugs, leads and coil pack. Still misfiring. Sounds like a diesel and is sluggish now on pull away! Can on ocassion smell petrol 😯
JA: What size is your engine?
Customer: 1.6
JA: What is the model/year of your Kia?
Customer: Carens
JA: What year is your Kia?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Plugs. Leads.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Coil pack
Category: UK Car
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So to start with, may I ask how you know it's cyl 1&2? The codes? Or did you pull the wires one at a time and see which one effects the engine the least?
Second how bad is the misfire? Dead miss or just noticeable in driving? I'm guessing dead miss from your description.So from your description it sounds like it's not burning the fuel. Which could be stuck open injector or poor compression.
Would you mind checking compression on all cyl. But esp. on those 2 cyl and let me know what you find. And I'll continue to assist.Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I check compression? Sorry I'm only just beginning on fixing this problem never fixed a car before this....
Its burning a fair bit of fuel I'd say but I've never had 1.6 before.
So I got codes from diagnostic p300 misfire. Cylinders 1&2 p 301/ p 302.
Mis fire is all the time. Sometimes loosing power wen in lower gears and has an extra rattle like sound from engine.
Hope this helps ��
That's no problem. We all started somewhere. So to check compression you need a compression gauge. It's not a very expensive tool but a good one to have.
You take the spark plugs out and thred it in place and turn the motor over a few times then read the gauge.Can you buy a gauge? Or pay a garage to get the reading for you? We are going to need it.Let me know
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok ill take to a garage and get that done and email you when I get Reading!
Thanks amanda
Sounds good. Thanks.