Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have code 01996 convertible top lock switch (f294) open,

Customer Question

I have code 01996 convertible top lock switch (f294) open, when I press the button the windows come down but then nothing happens
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yep, I have tried the manual reset a number of times, cleared the codes etc but no joy
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you a robot?
JA: I'm an assistant to the Audi Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: OK, so I have tried manual reset, I suspect the motor for the latch has failed but I can't get the trim off to check voltage etc
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It's a series 1 car
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The code you have here is for the top lock limit switch.Most of the time one of the limit switches fail internally and cause this fault here needing replaced and I suspect this is what is occuring here with a limit switch needing replaced.You will need to have the limit switches tested to be sure of the switch at fault and from there the affected switch replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete