Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I have a 4cylinder 1.8litre bmw e46 316i, European model.

Customer Question

hi I have a 4cylinder 1.8litre bmw e46 316i, European model. and Im just wondering if you can tell me what the average air flow reading at idle should be for the hot-film mass sensor in kg/hr or gr/s, as I think mine might be running a bit low.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I dont see the info in the specifications you need here but usually around 22 to 32 HG should be the reading at idle on most models.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi sorry I don't know what you mean by HG are you talking about pressure in mercury?my question was about the flow rate of the air flow meter which is usually expressed in kg/hr or g/secs. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

You should usually see between 3 and 7 grams per second on the mass air flow at idle on most models.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete