Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

My remote key fob was being a bit temperamental when I

Customer Question

Hi, my remote key fob was being a bit temperamental when I locked/unlocked the car! I bought a new battery and replaced but it wouldn't work! I unlocked by hand and it set the alarm off but I couldn't stop with the remote! It continually kept coming on...yes...whilst driving so I removed the fuse when I got home! I still can't switch it off with the remote!
JA: Have you checked the battery in the fob? Will the car open with another remote?
Customer: I only have one fob and the battery is new! I even put the old one back in and still not working!
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: MX5 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Removing the ignition fuse to stop it but obviously that's no good! Careful reassembling of key fob.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No except the only fob I was given when I bought, secondhand, was not a Mazda one!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent yet try holding down the lock and unlock button on the remote at the same time to see if you can reprogram it to the vehicle to work properly as sometimes this has to be done after battery replacement is done.If this does not work it may be the remote itself at fault internally needing replaced as I have seen these fail before and had to obtain and have a new one programmed from a local dealer.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete