Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Toyota Estima auto 2004. Recently was driving smoothly along

Customer Question

Toyota Estima auto 2004. Recently was driving smoothly along when suddenly pressing the accelerator had no effect. First a splutter then gradual slide into silence as if the engine was starved of fuel. Everything working fine otherwise and no leaks, no airlocks etc.
'Expert' squirted carbon (?) into the airfilter, engine started and ticked over nicely then stopped. He said that showed it was the fuel pump that was not working.
Took car to have fuel pump changed. Garage said pump changed by plugs wet. Their diagnosis: immobilizer not working so fuel entering but no spark as immobiliser stopping sparking.
1) Does this sound (a) possible and (b) likely
2) Was this procedure for diagnosing the fault (a) normal (b) the most cost effective from a client's point of view ?
3) If it doesn't sound like an immobilizer malfunction, ay other ideas (while my garage bill mounts up ) ?
Greatly appreciate an expert view
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If it still starts with starting fluid sprayed into the air filter intake this still indicates a fuel issue and if the pump was not tested or replaced this can cause this fault here.If they did not test the fuel pump pressure (if the pump was not replaced) this needs done to see if the pump needs replaced for this fault here.If this was replaced already or was already tested and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete