sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2012 Ford Kuga & the engine malfunction warning

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2012 Ford Kuga & the engine malfunction warning light has come on when driving. Usually goes off when you stop & restart the engine?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: no
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Ford Mechanic to figure that out. What is the model of your '12 Ford?
Customer: kuga
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it was serviced one week ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 8 months ago.

Hi. Many things on your vehicle can cause the malfunction light to come on. You can do one of two things at this point. First, you can have the computer scanned for the diagnostic codes that will be stored. This will give us a direction of repair. Second, since you just had it serviced, you can bring the car back and tell them ever since it was service the malfunction light has been on, and they may take a quick look at it to make sure it was nothing they did. Can you have one of these things done?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks for nothing! like I would not know that myself, complete waste of money asking you.

I do not know what you know about cars. You can still ask me more questions.

I can not tell you why the light is on by just guessing. I need some info.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The engine light can come on for literally hundreds of reasons. The light comes on when the engine controller sees a problem in a monitored component or system and sets a fault code. the problem may be literally anything in the powertrain ranging from any sensor, wiring, coils, fuel injectors, catalytic converter efficiency, throttle control issues, the transmission, an evaporative emissions system issue, or even the engine controller itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to connect a scan tool or code reader to the data link connector and see what fault codes have set, and then testing can be done from there based on what code is found.