C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

I have some issues with my Mercedes ml320 w164 and wondering

Customer Question

I have some issues with my Mercedes ml320 w164 and wondering whether it is the head gasket. I did have some problems in winter with cold start delaying and some white smoke emissions 1st think in the am. Have had all glow plugs replaced and glow plug module. But occasionally have a white smoke emission issue and I feel that the engine has lost some power. The white smoke has a slightly sweet smell to it
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: Ml 320
JA: What year is your Mercedes Ml320 W100?
Customer: W164 2009
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just noticed it yesterday, however wanted to know if there were particular signs or tests to run to clarify if head gasket?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, In my professional opinion I would have to agree with you on this one here. There are a few different ways you can confirm it is indeed the headgasket. 1. You can buy a radiator pressure tester, the way it works you install this right where your radiator cap is. You will than add air to the cooling system with the vehicle off. If you can see the pressure drop down but it is not leaking this is a good indication the headgasket is failing. You can remove the oil cap while it is pressurized and normally hear a small air leak verifying it is the head gasket. 2. For this option you simply buy a test kit and will have a testing strip that you soak in the cooling system. If it turns a certain color it means you have exhaust gases inside the cooling system verifying it is for sure the headgasket.

The links above are what the actual tools look like. The local parts stores should have something similar but it will be their own brand.

Thank you for choosing justanswer, have a great weekend, Charlie.