sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My RX8 will not start, it turns over fine. The initial

Customer Question

My RX8 will not start, it turns over fine. The initial problem was it cut out doing approx 80mph so I am looking for likely causes. Any idea?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery new last year, engine turns over, just not catching
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: its a 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have just changed the coils, oner looked a bit burnt out. I have yet to do the leads, but it did have new plugs last year.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no that i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could cause a no start condition. You may be missing spark, fuel or both. A loss of spark could be a loss of signal from the crank sensor, a wiring issue, if you found what looked like heat damage to a coil then you may have one or more failed coil drivers in the engine controller.

It's also possible that you could have an exhaust restriction, fuel contamination, or the engine controller itself may have failed.

The first step in diagnosing the issue is to see if any fault codes are stored. Nearly any issue causing a loss of spark will set a code and that will give a starting point for testing. Have you checked for codes?