Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

The speedo on my Peugeot 307 SW doesn't return to zero when

Customer Question

The speedo on my Peugeot 307 SW doesn't return to zero when it is at a standstill. this is an intermittent fault. When the neddle is stuck, if I open & close the drivers door, the needle drops back a little when the curtisy light goes out. sometimes I have to open & shut the door up to ten times before the neddle returns to zero
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: What fuses should I check, this fault has been on going for approx 2 years, everything else seems to be working OK
JA: What year is your SW?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My son is a motor mechanic, but he doesn't seem to know whats wrong. he has checked the speed sensors on each wheel, which send signals to the ABS & then to the ECU & then to the speedo, or so I believe. The ABS system is working fine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That is why I am asking you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Peugeot Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the transmission is shifting properly and the engine is running properly with this speedo issue here the fault in almost all cases is an issue with the instrument cluster speedo itself needing replaced.I have seen the speedo fail/act up internally like this here needing replaced or removed and repaired by a repair center to correct this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete