Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I have a 1994 Pajero 2.8td auto, it has just started to

Customer Question

hi, I have a 1994 Pajero 2.8td auto, it has just started to beltch out lightish grey smoke at low revs 200rpm and below. What could be the cause please. Regards Rob
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The grey smoke can indicate an issue with engine oil being burned.It may be the engine rings did not seat or there was cylinder wall damage in one or more cylinders that isnt allowing the piston rings to seat properly.I have seen both of these cause this type of fault here needing repaired.

The only other issue in some cases is valve seals in the cylinder head or an engine ventilation system sucking in engine oil like the PCV system that some models have.

I have seen fuel injectors cause smoke like this as well but in most cases it is a black smoke and grey can indicate engine oil.

I would have the engine checked over further possibly by the facility that did the engine work to see if they can pinpoint the cause here needing repaired.If found to be their fault I would see if they will cover the costs for repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete