Technicaldan
Technicaldan, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

Turn key no ignition just one click from starter motor or

Customer Question

Turn key no ignition just one click from starter motor or should dire rapidly changed battery same problem is it the starter motor
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Neutral don't know about wheel lock
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Battery full but turn key no noise from starter except single click
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New battery
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Ok
JA: All right!
Customer: Now what
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I haven't got any details of what vehicle as yet, I will try to help with what I know so far.

In summary, you have a good battery now on the vehicle, however when you turn the key all you hear is a click still.

As you can hear a click, it is likely that the immobiliser system if fitted is okay and the signal is being sent to the starting motor, the solenoid is most likely the sound you can hear.

Either the solenoid doesn't have it's heavy power supply feed from the battery, or more usually the solenoid has failed, you could use a simple 12 volt bulb and a piece of wire to see if there is power to the solenoid, it will be the largest and heaviest wire to the starter motor, it will be permanently live with the battery connected, if the power is there and the battery is good, then yes, it is likely you will need to look at the starting motor.

If it is a manual, try rocking the car in gear, on the very rare occasion this helps and it would seem you have nothing to lose trying.