sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Pearl, here. 2006 focus zetec 1.8 petrol. Starts and runs

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl, John here. 2006 focus zetec 1.8 petrol. Starts and runs fine, but engine warning light on. No DTC using built-in diagnostics.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 100k. Battery 2-3 years.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's it, really. Runs and starts fine, just the engine warning light is on constantly.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Probably not, but don't want to waste money or spend a fortune if it can be avoided.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: Can't think of anything. Full service record. Last service was October '15
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the engine light is on it's because the powertrain control module has seen an issue in a monitored component or system and set a fault code. It's possible that the problem could be in the instrument cluster or PCM and the light is turning on without a code set, but that would be so unlikely it wouldn't really be something I'd consider.

You're going to need a scan tool or code reader to connect to the data link connector and communicate with the PCM to see what codes are setting. How did you check for codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Using the built-in test function (pressing SET/RESET on the indicator stalk, then holding while startingthe engine and cycling through the tests until it shows DTC: None

You're going to need to connect either a scan tool (preferred) or a code reader to the data link connector to check for fault codes. If there are truly no codes shown that way either then PCM and instrument cluster data will need to be looked at to see whether either are requesting the light.