JagLandyFord, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Trained on Jaguar, Ford, Land Rover, Audi, Mazda, Master Technician Achieved on Jaguar & Land Rover

My central locking will lock all doors but will only unlock

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my central locking will lock all doors but will only unlock the drivers door from inside or the fob. it is not the dash settings as they are set to open all and works on odd occasions
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: taking the panels off but no visible faults
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lexus Mechanic should know about your Lexus?
Customer: no, everything else works fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lexus Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  JagLandyFord replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

If all the other doors are opening using the remote fob, except the drivers door - but it operates using the manual internal unlock mechanism - then - this would suggest that the concern is electrical.

This could be as simple as a broken wire at the point of the door hinging. This can be caused by the door opening and closing repeatedly - and this makes the wires between the door and the vehicle body - bend & twist back and forth - until eventually they snap.

You maybe able to access these wires by finding the rubber shroud that encases the wires between the door and the vehicle body. Pull the rubber sheath from both the door and the vehicle body. Then gently tug on each wire from either end to see if one pulls through to reveal a broken snapped wire.

If you are unable to find a broken - then it maybe electrical failure of the door latch mechanism.

Mechanically it will be working as expected - but the electrical side will not drive the latch to unlock or lock.

I hope this helps you understand your concern better and assists you resolve it.

Best Regards