Doug, ASE Certified
Experience:  .16 years automotive and OTR repair and factory training

Need to know the code 17560,17559,17549 : I got my car

Customer Question

Need to know the code 17560,17559,17549
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I got my car diagnostic the code came up also my engine lights on a
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Also
JA: Is there anything else important you think the VW Mechanic should know about your VW?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Doug replied 4 months ago.

Given those three codes I would be most concerned with the MAF sensor assembly (mass air flow or volume air flow it is sometimes called) or a vacuum leak.
The three codes are all directly related to air/fuel monitoring and calculations, at the heart of which is the MAF.

17560 is indicating long term fuel trims are too lean. The computer is adding more and more fuel trying to keep the mixture balanced but is incapable of balancing. The primary suspects for this are MAF, vacuum leak, low fuel pressure/delivery issue (rare)

17559 is identical to above, just a preliminary check (sets first at the first range exceeded but before the 560 when it worsens to maximum range)

17549 is indicating a cross check between the air flow volume read from the MAF to the air volume calculated by the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor has failed. The MAP acts as a back-up to verify the MAF is reading correctly. When this code sets it means that the volume of air being read by the MAF is not equal to the volume of air being calculated by the physical pressure reading. This can be a result of a bad MAF primarily, a bad MAP (unlikely without another fault as a correct MAF but incorrect MAP reading would likely put the MAP out of spec and set its own fault too), or a vacuum leak.

What I would be dong at this point would be to get it to a shop that is competent at checking for vacuum leaks to find out if you have any hoses or gaskets that are leaking allowing unmetered air in. While it varies by model, VW's have had numerous issues with plastic vacuum tubes cracking and leaking as well as rubber over sized vacuum ports rotting from oil contamination and so leaking as well.

If no vacuum leaks can be found... then it would be time to replace that MAF.