sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Dashboard blinking and fuel gauge shows full tank or empty :

Customer Question

Dashboard blinking and fuel gauge shows full tank or empty
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Toyota vitz, 2006 1.3 L. Dashboard lights blinking showing red water temperature and fuel gauge goes full or empty
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I searched for the loose ground connection but everything looks great for me
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: This could be known issue for Toyota mechanic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have multiple problems going on at the same time, the issue may be with bus communication or an internal failure in the instrument cluster.

Are the coolant temperature light and fuel gauge the only thing that you have trouble with or are you losing any other gauges, or seeing any other warning lights?

Did the problem start after any work was done, an accident, jump start, etc?