sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My car's back driver side tyre is producing grinding noise

Customer Question

Hi my car's back driver side tyre is producing grinding noise during driving
JA: Which part of the car is the noise coming from? Would you describe the noise as frequent or constant?
Customer: it's coming from back driver side tyre. I usually hear it when driving in slow speeds to 30mph
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It's just a sound which I can hear which bothers me. I originally thought it was the brake pad as a new pads were just fitted. but it do not seems to be the case. I have notice today a slight wear on the outside of the tyre
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I would just like to know what it could be. I was advice today by one of my colleague
that my wheel is not correctly aligned.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your car?
Customer: I do not think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have peugot 208
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be making the noise. It's possible that something is dragging the tire and caused the wear mark you saw, you could have a wheel bearing making noise or it could be coming from brake components.

Is it a growling type noise?
Is the noise dependent on vehicle speed?

Does it change or come and go when you swerve?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello. It actually all started last Saturday when I was in the supermarket car park- I was turning corner and suddenly heard this noise which sounded like something was breaking or I was dragging something under the wheel.
I stopped the car and checked but did not see anything either on the ground or under the car.
Ever since the noise is constant and most noticeable at lower speeds up to 30mph. I would describe the noise as growling. I did not notice for he noise to change when I swerve.
A growling noise is going to be a bad wheel bearing. You will most likely now note that the noise changes when swerving because that is loading and unloading the affected bearing.