HDGENE, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Repair Tech experienced in multiple car lines & makes.

Have a ford transit connect 2009, speedo inoperative all

Customer Question

Hi have a ford transit connect 2009, speedo inoperative all other gauges work correctly van runs fine
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Basically it's a ford transit connect, 2009 the speedo and trip have failed and when moving do not work at all, there are no warning lights on the dash display,
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: There are no faults recorded with a diagnostic tester
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes thanks for helping it is my own van
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Relevant fuses ok nothing missing, a sweep test on the dash has been carried out which sweeps the speedo all the way round ok all other displays work correctly just the speedo is inoperative
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: No have covered everything
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, if the speedometer and odometer arent working, Id suspect a problem with the vehicle speed sensor on the rear of the transaxle near the firewall. It sensor can be seen from the top of the transmission, has a two wire connector going to it. Inspect the wiring for being intact and not damaged, if this looks ok then replace the sensor and retest operation. On this vehicle it is also called the output shaft speed sensor.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi thanks for the reply, I'm away from the vehicle at present does the sensor wired straight to the engine Ecu or dash/clocks? I did presume the speed was detected via the Abs sensors and not a separate speed sensor?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you confirm this vehicle has a separate speed sensor as I'm struggling to see from the top of the gearbox, all I can see is a blanking plate where the early speed sensors were fitted?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

It would be easier to see from underneath but yes it has one and they do go bad. It uses the wheel speed sensors as a backup speed signal input when the trans sensor fails.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi I've just double checked there s no speed sensor fitted to the gearbox. Can only presume this is measured through the Abs system ?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The picture you attached shows the sensor going into the gearbox differential location I can confirm there are no sensors on the gearbox part from the reverse switch.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The only sensor that fits your description is the 2 pin crank sensor near the driveshaft.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Going forward am I best requesting another expert?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Yes I will open it up to another expert, being an out of USA build it may be different.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I live in the UK ?and vehicle is a UK build
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gene your signature says you are a UK Auto mechanic, I live in the UK and my transit connect is from UK,
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I receive a refund