sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2nd gear problem : My mechanic took gearbox out and fix oil

Customer Question

2nd gear problem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My mechanic took gearbox out and fix oil leak(core plug),volvo xc 90 d5 2004,after he put averything toghether,he top it up oil in gearbox through big nut on top of the gearbox and now 2 nd gear sliping.
JA: An oil leak can be frustrating and tough to diagnose. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No
JA: OK! The Volvo Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not know how the rest of the gears i only took for a short drive as soon i seen a problem i stop it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is automatic gearbox.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the problem only happens in second gear then a clutch issue is almost surely the problem, either damaged/worn discs or seal leakage. Low fluid could be a factor but that should affect other gears also.

I see that you only took it for a short drive. Did you not get above second gear (10-15 MPH)? Can you describe exactly what you felt?
Was the problem not present before the work was done and is present immediately after?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My gearbox was 100%,bifore work was done.oil was changed 1 month ago.Only thing he done wrong he filled oil that you have to let out then you remove gearbox,through big nut on top of gearbox and i fink its wrong.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My mechanic did take out for drive and he says just 3 gear missing.
Do you know what fault codes are setting?