sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

It started with a ticking which got louder as the revs was

Customer Question

it started with a ticking which got louder as the revs was increased,there is no loss of power and it is coming from the cam belt side of the engine
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: At first the ticking noise would be like an injector problem,now though its got very loud and you can hear the car coming. I have had similar noise on a truck I used to drive and that was the bearing on the the fan hub but I have been told it is not that. today momentarly there was belt noise when they are slipping. The engine temp is normal.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: To be honest it would depend if it was a simple fix I do not have a garage so I would have to do it where I park
JA: Is there anything else the Renault Mechanic should be aware of about your Renault?
Customer: No every thing else is fine
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Renault Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could possibly cause the noise. It may be an internal engine noise such as a lifter, it could be coming from the timing components, it may be an engine driven accessory or even an exhaust leak.

What year and model is the vehicle and what engine do you have?
Has anything been done to try to diagnose it?