Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My wifes C180 2006 suddenly after parking shopping mall dos

Customer Question

My wifes C180 2006 suddenly after parking shopping mall dos not start not even cranking.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: no turn over no cranking battery 6 years
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car locks work electrical seats work turning key ignitions light
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: ignition lights go on but engine wont turn no clicking sounds nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: I triedm jump starting same situation
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. From what you have described here this sounds like an internal electrical fault with the starter motor assembly itself.I have seen the starter act up/fail in the past before out of the blue like this here needing replaced.In some cases this can be the electronic ignition switch but usually if the key turns and the lights come on but there is no cranking this can be the starter needing replaced.You will need to have the starter circuits tested further to be sure this is the cause here and then replaced if found to be the fault.I have had to replace the starter before for this issue here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello Pete how about if the startmotor does not get the start current + when the key is turned in start position
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
I apologize for the delay. If the starter motor does not get the start signal this can be a fault with the ignition switch itself needing replaced in some cases or possibly a fault with a starter/crank relay at fault needing replaced.The starter ignition circuit will have to be tested to see which is the cause here and then from there the affected component will need replaced to resolve this fault. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete