Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

The temperature gauge on my 2010 ford transit keeps going into

Customer Question

the temperature gauge on my 2010 ford transit keeps going into the red i have had a new fan new radiator new water pump and temp sensor fitted but still guage goes into red when you go over 65 mph lift off accelerator temp comes straight down to normal any ideas ??
JA: So many things can cause water pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: already told you not water pump as new one has been fitted
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: not that i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. *** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE ***** .Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating..They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog..However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.). The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases. . Block tester available is: Napa BK.(###) ###-#### ***** Tester AUTOZONE Part Number:27145 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search .*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures*** ... If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust. If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head. .Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not head gasket does not presurize or us any water
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.
I see, but is there any exhaust gases in the cooling system?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no
done the sniff test
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 months ago.
I see, thanks. I was not aware of that. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it..*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ******** ..
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 8 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.May I begin by getting a little more info. Do you happen to have a scanner with data available?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no sorry
Hhmm it will make it a bit harder then.
May I ask, from your description I take it that it cools fine at idle and slow speeds but high speed it overheats? Is that correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
THATS CORRECT
was this the original problem that you replaced all those parts for? The (radiator, fan, CTS, & water pump).Also Was the t-stat replaced? I don't see it listed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
T\STAT REPLACED ORIGINAL PROBLEM WAS GAUGE SAY IT WAS OVER HEATING GOING ITO THE RED
the original problem was it was overheating all the time? Idle and driving? Or just at high speeds?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
JUST AT HIGH SPEED TEMP GOES UP VERY QUICK WHEN YOU GO OVER 65-70 AND COMES DOWN QUICK WHEN YOU SLOW DOWN TO AROUND 55
it's better now that you replaced those things but still not good or great?
So to be honest with you, I have only seen this 2 times in my 20 some years as a mechanic. And both times it was caused by a restricted radiator. At higher speeds the radiator wasn't able to cool the water enough becouse it was flowing to fast thru the few lines it had. I could put water thru it with a hose and it flowed just fine but some of the passages were blocked. I know you said you put a new one in, but it may be possible that if it's an aftermarket radiator that they skimped on making it and didn't put as many passages or as big of ones in it. Is it possible to get a double core radiator there?Also how was the coolant that came out originally?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
RADIATOR SEEMS TO BE THE SAME AS THE ONE THAT CAME OUT AND COOLANT THAT CAME OUT WAS FINE
Did this just all of a sudden start happening or was there other signs that led up to this original problem?
Do you still need help with this problem?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no thanks it seems that nobody knows what's wrong not even fords going to try replacing gauges now see if that helps
I doubt that's the problem. But can you let me know what happens when they do? And in the mean time I'll do more research.Is that ok?Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
seems that the problem was an air lock to do with the EGR valve
That's odd but I'm glad it's fixed for you. Thanks for telling me.