Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I've just fitted a replacement wing mirror on an S-Max but

Customer Question

I've just fitted a replacement wing mirror on an S-Max but now the mirrors don't automatically fold when the car is locked. Any idea why and how to rectify the problem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I bought a pattern replacement which claims to be OEM spec and had a local garage fit it. However both mirrors no longer fold every time I lock it. They sometimes fold if, using the key buttons I lock and unlock twice but this isn't always the case. The mirrors don't seem to fold at all when using the door buttons.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Possibly.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: 2013 S-Max 2.2 titanium
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. If the mirror was not the correct part number this may be causing signal interference which can cause the issue you have here and the correct mirror would need to be installed to correct this issue.I have also seen in some cases where programming/calibration needs done properly with a scan tool or dealers computer and usually needs done by a dealer to correct any calibration faults.This may need done here by a dealer to correct this. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. The problem I have is that I bought the part via Ebay having checked that it was suitable for the vehicle. I then got my local garage to fit it. The garage claim they fitted it correctly and it must be down to the mirror being a non ford offer to help me sort it, thy just washed their hands of it. They also told me only Ford main dealers have the equipment to re-calibrate.
The supplier now suggests that there can be variations for this vehicle and suggest I get the part number from Ford so they can check and send me the correct part. This I will try to do.
I could just accept my losses and get a new Ford mirror with fitting from our Ford main dealer but that was over £430 which is a rip-off
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
The Ford mirror from factory is the best choice as it will fit and work.If the after market facility did not send the correct after market mirror assembly I would obtain the correct part number from Ford with your vehicles VIN that way you can get the correct part number mirror to get this to work here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete