GenchiGenbutsu
GenchiGenbutsu, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Toyota Master Technician
17930070

I have a Toyota Verso 2010, which has driven 96000 kms. It

Customer Question

I have a Toyota Verso 2010, which has driven 96000 kms. It is intermittently emitting grey smoke from the exhaust pipe. Garage has recommended replacing the engine, but this seems quite unacceptable in a 6 year old car, with such low mileage
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Just that the oil usage has been on the high side over the past 4 years. It is within the acceptable according to the manual, but still high
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  GenchiGenbutsu replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Verso.When exactly is it emitting Grey Smoke? While driving? only on start up?Are there any other fluids that show being low, like coolant?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. Everything else seems normal. Grey smoke is not constantly emitted. It took me a while (about 10 minutes) to reproduce the effect for the garage by revving up the engine in neutral. But the problem is certainly there. There is also a powerful smell when this happens. It does not necessarily happen upon starting the car, but it seems to happen more often when the car is immobile, but switched on.
I see. This actually sounds like the valve stem seals are leaking oil passed the guides and into the cylinders. Did the repair shop pull the spark plugs and look at the tips to see if they show signs of oil being burned?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not sure, but I think they did not see any evidence of oil being leaked. They cleaned out the throttle body (I think that is what it is called), and poured a bottle of Poladyne in (again, I think this is it. I am in Israel, so I am not sure of the terms).
I am not sure of the termsThat's ok. If there are no external leaks and we are still loosing oil, then it has to be an internal loss. With the white smoke being seen on start-up, this has every indication of just being a valve stem issue and they would need to be replaced. Now if you don't replace them, you will still have oil loss but as long as you keep the oil topped up, you will be good. Does this make sense?If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not sure what you mean by valve stem. Google tells me they are the little thingies through which air is pumped into the tyre, which cannot be what you mean. Could you clarify?
And just to make sure, you are suggesting that as long as the oil level is good, I do not need to worry about the smoke and the smell?
I see. The valves are what open and close to let the intake mixture in and the exhaust out. They are opened by the camshaft. Here is what one looks like inside the engine...The valve goes up and down and that valve stem seal is what stops oil from going into the cylinder. If they leak oil into the cylinder, you will see the oil being burned off when you start the car or while it is running.Does that make sense?And just to make sure, you are suggesting that as long as the oil level is good, I do not need to worry about the smoke and the smell?Yes, the smell may not be to your liking but no engine damage will be done as long as the oil level is kept full.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Got it. I will look into it.
Thanks.
My pleasure and please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** rate as soon as I know whether the solution was adequate. It will probably take a few days.
I see your diagnosis was based on white smoke at stat up, but that is not the case. The smoke appears when I hit the gas after the car is on but idle for a few minutes. For instance, this will typically happen after a long traffic light. Does the diagnosis still hold?
Yes, your concern vs repair would still hold but please keep in mind that I am not there with the vehicle. This is much different than actually working (seeing/touching/testing) on the vehicle in question. Please take your time and I hope that all goes well for us.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Will get back to you!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK - here are some more details. The engine gives low power: 116 HP (I believe it should be 147).. Is this cause for worry or are we still with the same diagnosis (valve stem replacement)? Or is it worse than that?
Has the repair shop run a compression test on the cylinders yet?