Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Its an 04 A4 Quattro 1.8t. Got error code p0172 and p0135.

Customer Question

Hi. Its an 04 A4 Quattro 1.8t. Got error code p0172 and p0135. It's spitting fuel from the charcoal canister vent line, it loses power when driving and standing still. It has died on me a few times, both driving slowly and idling. Today it had troubles starting again after driving just 15 minutes. I'm looking for anything that can guide me to a solution.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's about it. I'd need more specific questions to clarify.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can find any info about it, yes. Otherwise Im gonna leave it to a mechanic.
JA: Is there anything else the Audi Mechanic should be aware of about your Audi?
Customer: Valve cover gasket was replaced back in january, vacuum leak fixed in Mars. There are a few problems every year with this car. It's completely stock, no mods or tuning.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I should probably add that I think it's the vent line. I can't really find much on this, and no pictures either. There are three fuel lines underneath the car. 2 of them are connected to the fuel filter, the 3rd is just open, I traced it yesterday to a charcoal filter sitting in the front right wheel well, just behind the wheel.
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If you have fuel at the canister itself this usually indicates an issue with the purge valve on the engine sticking on and causing vacuum at all times through the canister to the fuel tank and fuel is being sucked in through the canister to the engine causing poor running issues like this here.It is usually the purge valve and canister that needs replaced when this issue occurs here.You will need to have these EVAP components tested to make sure you need both the purge and canister to correct this but this is most common from what I have seen with this issue here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the answer. It feels like it's a valve that's not working properly. When you say the purge valve, is it the one circled in this image http://www.patzcatz.com/audi/evapleak1.jpg?I added an image too, the lines beyond the filter, that's where its pissing fuel. Is it supposed to be like that, not connected to anything?
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
You should have a hose or component connected to that open pipe there.The valve you show in the picture looks like the fuel filter.You may be missing some components here like the purge valve or hose connections to other components like the valve or vent valve.This will need to be checked into further to locate the cause here and to see what is missing and then repaired from there to correct this fault.I recommend either a dealer or repair center that has experience in this model check this over and repair what is needed. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete