Technicaldan
Technicaldan, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

I tried to connect 2 devices to Nissan rogue ODB II connector,

Customer Question

I tried to connect 2 devices to Nissan rogue ODB II connector, but only one device work properly concurrently.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I tried to connect HUD and front radar sensor system to ODB II connector with Y cable
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if it's possible.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have mad a switch to turn off the radar system when I need to use the HUD.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: I only want to know, How many devices can connect to ODB II connector concurrently? Is this problem only for Nissan Rogue or any other models?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If front radar system and HUD both turned on, only front radar system work fine, HUD failed but led display still lighting.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. This may be an issue with low voltage to the OBD 2 connector or that the voltage at the connector is not enough to supply enough voltage to these devices.I have seen this before and had to wire in one of them separately to a different power and ground source.I would have this checked into here to see if this is what needs done to correct this issue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete Thanks, ***** ***** answer, you means that the OBD 2 connector do not have enough voltage or current to supply these devices, I need wire one of them to another power supply (for example: cigarette lighter socket or fuse socket), I will try your suggestion.
also, I worry about that not only the power but signal lines of OBD 2 do not have enough voltage and/or current to drive these devices.
If you have the (OBD 2) wire diagram of Nissan Rogue 2010, please send it for me.
Thanks Jason
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I do not have the diagrams for this model here on this but usually if you are pulling to much voltage from the OBD power line this can cause this issue here and either one or both would need wired separately to ignition circuits to operate properly. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Pete, I make a test with your suggestion today, but failed too. Have you any other idea?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what you did today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Pete: I have wired the power of the radar system to fuse socket and HUD use the power of OBD 2, radar system work fine but HUD failed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This may be due to an internal electrical fault in the HUD assembly itself.It may have an internal electrical fault causing this issue here needing either repaired or the unit replaced. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Pete, If I only connect the HUD to the OBD 2 socket, the HUD work well, so, I do not sure that it is an internal electrical fault in the HUD assembly itself.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This is a tough one for me to answer myself here but someone else here may have more info on this.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 1 year ago.
OBD II Is a serial communications protocol, similar to old dial up modems, aside from your voltage issues as to what is available at the OBD socket, you are unlikely to be able to share the interface line with another device as their communications and hand shaking protocol would conflict.It would be a like trying to have a private conversation and someone picks up a third phone on the line.
Please rate.