Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

Grand Cherokee WK: i have a 2006 jeep grand cherokee overland

Customer Question

i have a 2006 jeep grand cherokee overland 3.0CRD. When i stop the vehicle at traffic light the oil light turn on at engine idle, if i speed up the engine over 650 rpm the light turn off. i've already changed the oil sensor and oil ( 5W30 ) and check the wires from sensor and its seems ok.
Other problem is , the front doors ( driver and passenger ) when i open the doors, the EVIC not show that it's opened, the other doors is ok, the wires from door seems ok
Can you help me ? make me crazy
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the engine oil pressure checked/tested at all to see if the oil pressure is low at idle?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The Oil pressure its ok , the problem come on only when the engine temp is over 1/4 ... at cold no problem
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Just to be sure though was it actually tested with an engine oil pressure test gauge when warm at idle to see if it was below the minimum specifications.When the engine is warm the oil is warm and thinner and if you have a weak oil pump or a blocked pick up tube in the oil pan this will cause this here and when you rev up the engine this increases the flow of oil and can raise the oil pressure turning off this light.This is most common with what you have decribed here.

The other issue is usually with the instrument cluster itself.It senses and controls the door open and closed indicators as it receives signals from the door latches.It is odd to have two door latches fail at the same time so most likely these are o.k. but the instrument cluster can fail with one or more circuits internally and cause this.The instrument cluster is a computer as well on this model.This can also cause the issues with the low oil pressure or oil warning light.I would focus on having the instrument cluster repaired or replaced to see if it resolves the oil light issue as well at the same time,If the oil issue still occurs then I would have the actual oil pressure issue checked into and repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Other things.. At idle OBD2 ScanTool show P0424 Oil Pressure Low
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,this is the engine computer detecting low oil pressure.To me with what you have going on here is you have an internal instrument cluster issue with the door signals not being detected properly and the instrument cluster needs repaired or replaced.I would check the wiring leading from the doors to the body to make sure wiring is all o.k. as well.

The other issue is low oil pressure at idle when warm due to either a partially clogged oil pick up tube in the engine oil pan or a weak oil pump needing replaced.These will need checked into to be sure of the cause here and then replaced/repaired from there.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, i've swapped the cluster but now the kilometers are differents ... there is any way to update this info to get
the real km ?
Why the front doors problem is connected with the cluster ? Can be reprogrammed to fix the issue ?
For the oil sensor seems there is a recall to be done ( 18-003-08 )
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

You would have to visit a dealer to see if they can reprogram the cluster.The cluster also does need programmed by the dealer as it is an ecu and it may not be operating properly until it is programmed to your vehicle.The front door signals on whether they are open or closed is sent from the door latches to the instrument cluster.I would have the cluster programmed (in some cases it has to be sent in by a dealer to have the km reprogrammed) then re check and see if the door signal issues still occur.

I would also have the recall done for the oil sensor and see if this corrects the oil pressure fault.If it does not then a manual oil pressure test does need done when the engine is warm at idle to see if there is an actual engine oil pressure issue.If there is then this will need resolved to correct this fault here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, problem not solved.... the oil light is still fired on :(