sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a Nissan Almera. Intermittently immobiliser locks and

Customer Question

I have a Nissan Almera. Intermittently immobiliser locks and the car cannot be turned over or started?
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Not much more to tell other than that - put the key in - all dashboard lights come on including immobiliser light. Cant turn it over or start it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Have no idea at this point. I had the problem before but then I had the clutch changed and it cured the problem - that was about 3 months ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Nissan Mechanic should be aware of about your Nissan?
Customer: Not really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think it could be the ignition barrel - finally just wiggled the key about and hey presto the car has started.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the problem is truly with the immobilizer then it wouldn't be a mechanical issue with the lock cylinder. It's going to be an issue with the key, immobilizer module, possibly a wiring issue or it's possible that the engine controller isn't awake when this happens.Does the fuel pump still run when this happens?Have you checked for fault codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes just had it checked P1610 and P1614? I know it's the immobiliser but how do you fix this problem.
Have you tried a second key?