Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

The cage on my rear wheel hub is broken and im struggling

Customer Question

the cage on my rear wheel hub nut is broken and im struggling how to get it off without the cage in place
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: basically im wanting to change my ford fiesta 2004 rear wheel bearing
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: mainly wd40 with a breaker bar, a air impact gun, and chisel
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: not that im aware of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 6 months ago.
Hi there good evening to you sorry for the delayed response my name is***** will be happy to assist you tonightDo you still require assistance with the socia do you still require assistance with this issueIs it the 30 mm layered nut that has came apart
Is any of the layers still in the stub axle threadRegards Brian
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
27mm layered nut theres only 1 layer left on
Is the last layer but still intact or is it rounded damaged
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah its still intact and undamaged
Have you tried a long single hex 27 mm socket
Will it not move due to thinness ie won't grip it to slacken it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yeah i just cant get a grip cause of how thin the nut is
Hi thanks ok in this case I would remove the drum and hub as a complete unit by removing the 4x17 mm bolts from the rear of the drum backing plate
(If abs is fitted remove the sensor )
This allows you to take the drum /bearing and stub axle off in one go
I would then secure it facing upward towards you and drill a few small holes in the washer (this will release the pressure ) and allow easier removal of the 27 mm nut
I have had to use a thin walled 27 mm socket on previous occasions to remove this thin layered nut
But I would start by removing the drum /hub assembly as it makes it easier to work onKind regards ***** *****
Brian
Hi there good morning to youHow did you get on with the rear hub nut issue we discussedRegards ***** *****
Brian