Tour-de-UK
Tour-de-UK, NAISE Certified
Experience:  NAISE Certified 1984, ASE certified 1985
20625509

My freelander is overheating 1997 how do i flush the systemJA:

Customer Question

my freelander is overheating 1997 how do i flush the system
JA: Watching the temperature gauge creep up into the red is never fun. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with overheating troubles. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: land rover freelander 1997
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: twin cam 16 valve 1997
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: overheating
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your Land Rover?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Tour-de-UK replied 6 months ago.
The first thing to do is drain all of the coolant out and a lot of times that stuff will kill a dog or cat if they drink it, so be careful.Then fill it with plain water from the garden hose. Leave the radiator cap or degas cap off and start the engine, turn the heat to hot but leave the fan off, so it flushes out the heater core as well. Stand where you can watch both the temperature gauge and the water level. Keep the garden hose running just slightly during this time and as soon as the temperature gauge begins to climb and the thermostat has opened and the water level dropped, stick the garden hose in the radiator or degas bottle, then adjust the garden hose pressure until the water is just overfilling. Let the engine idle until the water comes out clear. Remove the hose, shut off engine and the water. Allow 2 hours for the engine to cool down, drain all the water out again. Now fill with the proper mixture of water/coolant, allow the thermostat to open again, top off and you are done.
I forgot to mention, when you stick the garden hose in the radiator or degas bottle, after and only after the thermostat has opened and you are beginning to flush, open the drain plug on the bottom and watch for when the water coming out of it is finally clear.