Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.

I have a A Class 2002 and all of a sudden i cant lock/unlock

Customer Question

hi i have a A Class 2002 and all of a sudden i cant lock/unlock using my remote.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the car was acting crazy last week with the alarm going off as soon as i touched the drivers door,this all happened because i changed the batteries so would it be very easy to fix?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well last year a mechanic over the phone at mercedez with a few steps fixed it within 30secs. i dont want to pay a bill that is unessasarily.
JA: The Mercedes Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: my mechanic will charge £200 at least and thats a new key i feel he may be wanting to make a few bucks.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: well as you know its 14 years old,in good nick. i can still lock and unlock with key. all electricals still work.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. The remote itself may have failed internally electronically causing the lock/unlock feature to act up like this here as well as the alarm going off.I have seen these remotes fail before needing replaced and programmed by a dealer.You can try holding down the lock button on the remote then press unlock at the same time 5 times in a row within 10 seconds and see if the remote relearns from there or by holding down lock and unlock at the same time on the remote and see if it then works properly.If this does not work the remote will need tested and replaced if found at fault then programmed.This is something that usually has to be done by a dealer. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete