sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Transmission control signal error or bulb JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

Transmission control signal error or blown bulb
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Gear wont select any gears not even reverse
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed oil filters on gearbox and put new oil
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?
Customer: Its a jeep liberty crd 2.8 diesel 2005 model where is the transmission control located
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It also said fault wiring in the dtc
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the transmission does not engage it could be an internal mechanical or hydraulic failure, possibly a shift cable issue, the transfer case may actually be in neutral, or there could possibly be a mechanical failure in the rear differential.With the transmission in park are you able to push the vehicle or do you feel a hard mechanical lock?What P codes were stored in the ECM and TCM?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yrs i am able to push the vehicle while in park no hard machanical
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
P0700 and P1265
I'm not showing P1265 to be valid. What module did you find it in?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do i acces bolts to remove torque converter from flywheel
The torque converter bolts are accessed through a rubber plug in the left side of the bellhousing adapter above the starter area.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks found it, managed to change gearbox replaced it with new one but but gears will only shift up to second gear than it over-refs,as it did in the old gearbox. Will this maybe a result of rear differential oil because it has leaked by the will or is it an electrical fault than wont shift to higher gears ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
DTC diagnosis was than transmission control signal error faulty wiring or blown bulb ,dont understand what they mean as all fuses are ok and cant seem to find any bulb ?
What P codes are currently setting in the TCM?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was just the P0732
P0732 is a gear ratio in second gear, either the trans is actually slipping in second or there is a speed sensor issue. Do you have an actual scan tool with the ability to monitor the input and output speed sensors?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No but i think i can get someone with the scan tool, what can be done in that case if it is the sensor, is it accessible and can it be replaced ?
The speed sensors are on the left side of the trans and held with an 8mm bolt, they only take a couple minutes to replace.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My worry is i have just put in a new transmission box, which came with its own sensor i just had to plug it in , how could this be the problem ?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do u think it may be the wiring from the car side
Yes,if there is a loss of speed sensor signal it could be duty to an open circuit or a short to power or ground on either of the wires to the affected sensor.