Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

I have a question about a QR20DE engine and timing chain. Reinstalled

Customer Question

I have a question about a QR20DE engine and timing chain. Reinstalled chain according to service manual, marks aligned correctly then timing cover installed. Turned the crank to check and the timing marks are now out by one link. Turn the crank again and the marks are now out by 2 links etc etc? Yet according to the service manual the marks should line up each time so what could be wrong or is this normal?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 11 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.what is the year,make and model?thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nissan Primera station wagon, 2007, QR20DE 2L engine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have carried on and reassembled the engine on the basis that if the marks were lined up correctly then everything must be ok. Note, the work was done because the head was reconditioned (skim and valve grind). Engine started, it first ran at 3000rpm for a few seconds and then oscillated between 2000 to 3000 to relearn but after about 30 seconds of rev oscillations and then 2 minutes of running it was still idling really high at just under 2000rpm so have switched the engine off.
So the question about the timing marks now is more a curiosity since then engine is running, my main question now is why would it be still idling high and what to do about it, should I just run it for longer and then test drive and the idle speed will eventually settle down as the emu relearns? Or is the high idle an indication that something could still be wrong with the timing? Can this engine run if the timing was out by 1 link?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
And we may have a time zone issue, I am in New Zealand (but the car is a UK made Primera hence the reason to post on the UK forum) so we may have some timing issues (pardon the pun) as we sort this out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So, an update for whomever else comes along. Googled idle relearn and found out how to put the emu into learn mode, did this and the rev oscillations that were between 2000 to 3000 stopped after about 20 seconds and the engine settled to an idle of 1500rpm. This is where I am at right now, debating about whether or not to put the emu into idle relearn mode again and keep repeating this until the revs eventually settle, what I don't know is if repeated learning modes will actually do this and if not what concerns it may raise?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Another update, the relearn didn't really work, every time the engine starts it keeps oscillating the revs between 2000rpm to 3000rpm then after about 2 minutes of this (around 80 oscillations) it settles down to a 1500rpm idle.