Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I have a doblo 1.3 multijet 56 plate van ive had starting

Customer Question

hi i have a doblo 1.3 multijet 56 plate van ive had starting problems since last winter some times it started first time other times could take 3 ,4 or even 7 times to start it it did this when it was hot or cold today ive tried to start it leaving work and now its just dead all the lights come on plus headlights but no turnover since christmas ive had new bettery new starter new heater plugs service even injectors checked no body can find the problem someone said it could be a fuel sensor but dont want to keep spending money on things ive also had it plugged in and that didnt come up with a fault pulling my hair out now lol
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
HelloI'd check that you're getting full power to the glow-plugs, they pull a lot of current so take care when checking but see if the relay is clicking when the ignition is turned on first and also check the fuse if this is OK check to see if the engine earth strap is also OK.If the plugs haven't been changed in the last 20K then they may have to be replaced.You can test the glow-plugs with a multimeter by measuring the resistance across the plug ( between the power connection and the body) it should be around 4-8ohms if its tending to infinity / open circuit the plug is faulty or by using a clip on current clamp, either on the supply wire to glow plugs or onto engine earth, with glow plug light on you should see 15-20amps for each glow plug fitted, 4 cylinders would be approximately 60-80amps.Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the main fuel pump is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12VAlso if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensorIf the EGR valve is stuck open then this too can effect starting so try disconnecting it to see if this helps or changes anything Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issueLastly it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hi thanks for that info its in the garage tomorrow i will tell them to check some of the things uve told me as i have eliminated a couple of them speak soon thanks again
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
no problem just get back to me on this post