Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

I am getting the 'fuel pump system

Customer Question

I am getting the 'fuel pump system error' message on my 2010 XJ 5.0V8. I have paid to have the fuel sender unit changed, and low and behold, I'm still getting this signal. they are now telling me I have
to pay £467.00 to have a new fuel pump too.......This just doesn't seem right to me?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
When you see that warning this is caused by either a fault with the fuel pump or with either sending unit. One sender is non servicable an the tank will need to be replaced. We can actually check out sender counts right on the cluster when in engineering mode. With the vehicle off and all doors closed press and hold the start switch and the trip button on the headlamp stalk at the same time and keep them both pressed for about 4 seconds or until the air bag warning goes off on the cluster then release both and you will enter engineering mode. Keep pressing the trip buttong til the fuel senders are displayed. They should read Fuel A and B. Fill the tank and see what they read. Then do the same at 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4. Sender A should always read more than B. If not then yes we have a pump/sender issue. It could even be the connections in the tank. It is even possible in switching these during replacement. Let me know.