Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience

A have a 2008 registered ford Mondeo mark 4 saloon. JA:

Customer Question

hi a have a 2008 registered ford Mondeo mark 4 saloon.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Ford. The Ford Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The boot will not open.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.I've gne in through the back eats and taken off the boot lining, diconneted the electric
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: and flicked the lock open.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Ford Mechanic should know about your Ford?
Customer: The boot was not making any noise when I was pressing the boot button to ope it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 5 months ago.
Hi there , good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to assist you todayOk do you have the boot open at the minute
Do you wish to carry out done tests to clarify the issueKind regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Brian,So the whole story so far...2008 Ford Mondeo Mark 4 Saloon:
Boot would not open.
No sound from when pressing the button on the boot.
I checked the fuses but found none faulty.
I went in through the back seats and I have taken of the boot back panel and the skirt around the boot base.
I cut a strip in the black cover on the lock and flicked it open with a screwdriver.
I disconnected the electric connector and took off the lock for inspection.
I reconnected everything up and still not working.Can you tell me which fuses for sure are the ones I should check for this, as I see a few conflicting layouts online?
I would have thought that if fuses are okay, the boot should still be making the noise to try open the lock, am I correct?
What other suggestions might you think I try?Kind regards, Gary.
Hi Gary good morning to you
Do you have the registration number there as there is a few different wiring setups this will allow me to pull the diagram up and give you a better diagnostic routeKind regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure Brian,
It is an Irish registration:
08 G 5400Are you able to find out from this?Gary
I should be able to Gary I assume it's just a hatch back not an estate
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes it is a saloon- just the flip boot, not an estate.
Thanks Gary
The diagrams vary depending on registration date do you have the vin number there
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is my chassis number which I believe is the same as the VIN number?:
Hi Gary thanks ***** have studied the wiring diagram for your MondeoYou have 3 wires on the latch multiplug
Pin 1 - is a 12 volt (pulse feed ) from the BCMii to the latch
Pin 2 - is an earth for the latch motor and also the ajar switch )
Pin 3- tailgate ajar out to the BCMii )The easiest way to test the wiring us to check for 12 volts across pins 1&2(I leave the multiplug connected and back probe the wiring connectorIf you connect a multimeter up across these pins and then press the tailgate release switch you should get a 12 volt pulse feed then it dissapearsThe only fuse on the system is fuse 25 in the BCMii (body control module ) this is the fuse box in the pasengers footwell )
This also powers different systems so I would suspect this is okI would strongly suspect a faulty tailgate latch as being the issue here Gary and is something we changed quite commonly on the earlier mk4 MondeosI can Give you the price and part number if you require it GaryKind regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Brian,
I have checked the multiplug. There are actually 4 pins in my multiplug, not 3 as you suggested (see images attached). I probed all combinations of pins 1-4 with and without pressing the tailgate switch. Pressing the tailgate switch made no difference to any of the combinations. Without pressing the switch the results were:
1-2: zero
1-3: zero
1-4: 12V
2-3: zero
2-4: 12V
3-4: 12V
Do you know why there is no difference in voltage across the pins when I press the tailgate switch, and do you have any suggestions for what to do next?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Brian,
Have you any suggestion to my previous post?
Kind regards,
Hi gary good afternoon to you Ok I have linked through every mk4. Mondeo Varient and all the diagrams show 3 wires It may be the case there is another earth present But in each case it shows pun 1 as the unlock pulse feed This comes from the BCMii out of connector 2 pin 71 (yellow/violet wire ) The wire then passes through connector 44 pin 6 (this is where it turns from yellow /Violet to black ) and then on to the tailgate latch Connector 44 is being the pasengers boot carpet As this fault may be an internal BCMii fault if no pulse feed is being sent to the latch as there should be a pulse feed from this to operate the latch I have attached images of the ford diagrams we use in our dealerships Kind regards ***** ***** Brian
Hi Gary how did you get on with checking the pulse feed at connector 44
As if there is no feed here an internal BCMii fault could be present
If you touch a 12 volt feed to the yellow /Violet wire (once and then off ) does the tailgate latch operateRegards Brian